Friday, August 31, 2012

A bedspring, Chicken wire and a beer can - My version of REDNECK Craft Wars

I feel a little bit like this was Craft Wars with myself. Except my show might be better called "Redneck Craft Wars"! The Challenge?  Find three uncommon, unrelated items and come up with something that lights up................the only difference is, I didn't give myself a time constraint.  That's a good thing too...cuz it took me three days of making and tearing it apart and working and reworking....but... let's get on with it....

Main challenge items:

  • Bedsprings purchased at a flea market for $1.50
  • Chicken Wire - I bought a whole roll at Ace Hardware two years ago and I'm still using it up 

I gave myself free reign to dumpster diving for additional objects I felt necessary to complete the challenge.  Keep in mind this meant no dumpster in a 1 mile radius was safe.....and I also allowed myself use of anything in my personal Redneck craft closet.  

I found my third uncommon item in the dumpster. Two beer cans! Sa-weet! - perfect for the center of the flower and fortunately I rescued these BEFORE they hit the dumpster!

In the Redneck craft closet I snatched:
 Krylon Spray paint (Blue Ocean Breeze - my current favorite color pallete) - Ace Hardware
  • Annealed Steel Wire - another staple in the studio (Ace Hardware)
  • Wood Stain - English Walnut Color
Additionally, I purchased all the things necessary to turn this into a lamp at Ace Hardware.  (the socket thingy, electrical wire, plug and misc. items).  This is where James the owner took the time to teach me how to wire a lamp.  - THANKS JAMES!!! 

I formed each petal over a big paper mache egg. I attached these petals by wiring them to the bed spring.
 




Next, I cut the beer can open and cut it into the center shape of the flower, spray painted it blue and then distressed it with wood stain.  I also cut the center out of the can so that the light socket would fit up through the center.  I secured a wide mouth mason jar lid to the center of the flower with wire and used glue attach the flower center to it.  I let that all sit over night to dry....

To finish, I wired it up.........attached it to the cigar box so it had a sturdy base..........and.........
then tested my electrical skills.  I have to say, I was a bit hesitant to plug it in for fear of getting fried.......but...
........................................drum roll please ........................................................................
Does it work?



Why YES! Yes it does!!!!!!!

Craft War judges - you'd be glad to note that no glue strings were involved in this project.

I'm acutally going to add another big flower lamp to the right side to balance it out....but I was kinda excited to have built this entirely from scratch with redneck craft items....

Besides....who said I had patience anyways????


No comments:

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails