Friday, May 18, 2012

Getting settled in and getting Ant'sy


Inside our Chalet was a welcome package for us laying on the bed.  I really felt like I was on a "land cruise" with the elephant towels.


We also received welcome gifts and hats.  No detail was left undone!


The view on the other side of the chalet.  It's a huge KUDU...duh..I just noticed that I'm standing in the mirror..


The view outside our chalet was amazing.  It may look like just a bunch of dried up weeds, but when we arrived into camp, monkeys were running about the yard.  There are several watering holes here too which invite animals in for viewing.   It's also teaming with all sorts of birds who love love love to sing!


A panoramic view looking towards the lodge from our chalet.  It was just gorgeous!


and from the other side back towards the chalet....


And a look inside the pool room and social area.  I loved this open air thatched roof hut...I think I need one of these in my backyard.....
By this time, Dana is itchin' to get out into the field.  Technically the hunt doesn't start until tomorrow, but he isn't going to waste time.  So .....
We hop aboard our safari mobile and head to the shooting range to site in their rifles....


Hold your ears....IT'S LOUD!!!  - But Dana is a great shot and hits his target every time!


The area around the bush camp is reserved for bow hunters.  It has a variety of animals, lots of impala...tons of birds, kudu, gemsbok and more.....but we live for danger....We head to the next property over....DID YOU READ THE SIGN????  BUFFALO, RHINO, and LEOPARD! OH MY!

At this point, I'm thinking (the great photographer that I am) I'm going to get some really AWESOME photos of animals.  Beautiful portraits...the animals are going to smile...stand still and have their photo taken...WELL... NOT!  I don't know what the heck I was thinking....the animals have their colors for a reason...they're camoflauged perfectly...and they don't stand still....and so...I got a little wake up call that this wildlife photography high I was on, was not going to be a breeze...


Yes, I know this is a HUGE RHINO....and you would think...how in the world could you not see something so huge?  Their color suits them.  We stopped the safari mobile for this photo and it took me a while to find the animal.  It's was like playing "Where's Waldo" with dangerous animals.


There are roads throughout the property as you will see in more photos as we go along.  The drive is slow and our PH Etienne, sits on the back bars scoping the landscape for animals and looking for fresh tracks....


Along the road's you will see alot of these active ant mounds.  They are huge!!! And I'm told that this one is about 25-30 years old.  Ants amaze me......Inside these mounds the temperature remains a constant temperature.  They have a way to vent the hot air out and bring the cool air in and they do it all naturally.....fascinating!!


Dana is so giddy about now........I think I pinched him to make sure he wasn't dreaming...


In South Africa, everything is on survival mode....everything is out to get you...whether its the bushes with 2" long needles, poisonous snakes, spiders or animals....while you are hunting....you are being hunted as well....

Etienne and the tracker Joe - are following some fresh Impala tracks.  Unfortunately the animals ran, so I think this is Dana's first wake up call as to how fast these animals react and that this hunt is not going to be a walk in the park.....

I remember at one point, we stopped the truck.  Etienne whispered "Kudu" and pointed....I looked and looked...no KUDU!  I really thought he was playing with my mind until I caught the slightest twinkle in the sun...ever so slight...looked like a tiny piece of glitter....and there it was...the very TIP of a Kudu horn.  We couldn't see the animal, but thru all the brush Etienne saw the twinkle of the tip of the horn....MAN THESE GUYS ARE GOOD!!!


So, we came out ZERO on our practice run, but it was a good warm up to know just how fast everything reacts.


We ended each day with gorgeous scenery and sunsets! I've never seen such beautiful colors in all my life.....
BTW - the photo below is not edited.  The sky was rich with purples, pinks flowing into oranges and bright yellows....



Tomorrow....we will hunt...................................and be hunted!....

No comments:

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails