Friday, September 7, 2007

I have to tell myself.........STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a crazy title doesn't it???!! But it's true, sometimes you just have to tell yourself...or maybe yell at yourself...STOP!!!!!!

Over the summer I found myself in somewhat of a creative slump. I think it's because in June I had a little free time on my hands. Don't get me wrong, I took that time for some creative exploration... but I really didnt "Make" anything. I must have Attention Deficit Disorder because, I have so many things running thru my mind at the same time that I can't focus on one thing. Or.....I'll look at magazines for inspiration and think...okay Im going to do this...or that.... But what happens when I get into the studio? I either draw a blank and can't decide what to do...or I get out so many things I want to work with it becomes creative overload.

So....long story short....I work the best under deadline. You've probably noticed that I've not been as chatty lately. I've had my nose buried deep into a book deadline. The last two days Ive spent countless hours in the studio (just ask my husband...he hasnt seen much of me...) creating and creating and designing...and putting together...and ripping apart....and putting back together ...and ripping apart until it was just right. In fact, I sort of told myself to stop last night....but then I managed to create another 4 pieces. I think the fact that I have a deadline...and only a certain amount of time to get a project done helps me focus on only the things that will help me accomplish that goal and in a weird sort of way it really inspires me creatively. Can you relate???

Today I finally told myself..."STOP!! You've created enough"...and with that, I packed all my supplies, my finished jewelry pieces and I felt satisfied that the creating was over. I feel good about the fruits of my labor in what I have accomplished and what I have created. The excitement is setting in because tomorrow I leave for London. I've never been there before and Im looking forward to the whole experience. I'll be spending a week with a photographer and my book editors to shoot the step outs for the "Making Beads" book. I can't wait to see how it turns out and...I can't wait to share the experience with you!

So with that being said....I sign off for tonight...It's time for some well deserved family time. The next time we chat, It will be Live from London!!

No comments:

Click on a post

Related Posts with Thumbnails